Risks of untreated STIs
Untreated STIs can have an impact on fertility and multiple organs in your body
- Chlamydia, Gonorrhea – result in Pelvic Inflammatory Disease. This causes chronic pelvic pain, ectopic pregnancy(in which the baby develops in the fallopian tubes instead of the uterus) and infertility.
- Syphilis – damages internal organs which may show up many years after the infection. It affects the brain, eyes, nerves, heart, blood vessels, liver, bones and joints.
- Candida – the fungus can spread and eventually reach the bloodstream. This results in affecting vital organs like the heart and brain.
- Hepatitis B – the longer you leave it untreated, the vulnerable you are to liver cancer
- Hepatitis C – liver scarring, liver damage, liver cancer
- HPV – Leads to Cervical cancer
STIs, when left untreated, can increase the risk of contracting other STIs like HIV. This is possible because STIs might cause sores in the genital area which increase the risk of transmission.
You always carry the risk of transmitting the infection to your partner.